10.25.2011

fa la la la, already?

It must be official--because why else would every major retailer be displaying Christmas items before Halloween--it's time to think about presents for the in-laws.


James' side of the family is the hardest to shop for because I actually care what they think! Nicest people in the world, I know they're not judging, but I better damn well bring the best presents on Dec 25. 


This year I'm thinking online shopping or local shops. Besides the fact that everyone should try to shop local, it's my best bet at finding something unique.


Baby gift: 
This stuff is FAB! The concept and execution drive envy. Great spectra of topics like nuclear physics, law enforcement, and dia de los muertos. Not to mention, it seems I've hit the age where everyone is starting to pop out babies.


Wall art:
http://www.uncommongoods.com/product/dog-blueprints
http://www.etsy.com/search/vintage?search_submit=&q=vintage+anatomy&view_type=gallery&ship_to=US
Maybe not for everyone, but I think anyone with a quirky sense of humor might enjoy the concept behind dissecting and labeling images. 

Hunter:
For as much as I am anti-gun, I bizarrely know a lot of pro-gun and pro-hunting for pleasure. These also amuse me in general and would be fun after some metallic spray paint.


The Host(ess)/Cook:
I'm thinking this is a perfect mom/dad type gift or for anyone throws parties, likes having people over, or appreciates pretty things. Hand-printed towels or napkins are fabulous. Plus the advantage of online searching is you can find a range of prints. I liked the farm trackers. Hit the link to see the different views on the cutting board. It's very appealing.


BAD GIFTS
Obviously, it happens. People think they're being funny or, in the worst case, they truly believed you wanted it. It happens, graciously move on and practice your "Ah, thank you!" face in advance.


Among bad things like outdated calendars, underwear (the practical kind), and a garbage bags, I found this to be particularly horrific, and to top it off, someone was actually trying to sell it online. Please, no.


Wish me luck! If I plan this right, I'll have everything ordered by Nov 30, giving me enough time to second guess myself and buy replacement gifts.

1 comment: